Bilbo's Last Song, by J.R.R. Tolkien



Cover of Bilbo’s Last Song by J.R.R. Tolkien


Bilbo's Last Song by J.R.R. Tolkien

My rating: Two stars out of five

“Bilbo's Last Song” is old wine in a new bottle: Tolkien’s familiar nostalgia, repackaged as an illustrated farewell. The wine, naturally, is excellent.



“I sit beside the fire and think”



Its quiet reflections on memory and departure have warmth, but, for me, offer no new vintage in a world I already know. Compared with “The Adventures of Tom Bombadil”, I find a slender coda, not a varied collection; compared with “The Hobbit”, it lacks the delight of a journey into the unknown. Newcomers will find an excellent introduction here. For everyone else, this edition is no reason to return.



Two stars out of five.



Ceterum censeo Putin esse delendam




https://turing.mailstation.de/bilbos-last-song-by-j-r-r-tolkien/?fsp_sid=2774

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Das Sommerbuch, von Tove Jansson

The Hallmarked Man (Cormoran Strike #8), by Robert Galbraith

A Murder in Springtime (Bruno, Chief of Police #19), by Martin Walker